Wednesday, September 07, 2011

My favorite day.

SAD.  If there is a syndrome that is the opposite of SAD, I have it!  I love the autumn, the winter, the cloudy cold, the turning of the leaves, the snowfall, short days, long nights, and so on.  If some place in the world could give me a Colorado Autumn followed by a Colorado Winter over and over again, I would have to move there.  Forever.  I don't like spring and summer nearly as much.  Don't get me wrong, I still love them, but nothing reminds me of home like autumn and winter.

My favorite day of the year is today.  The first day since spring started where I needed to pull out my sweatshirt.  I have a favorite hoodie.  It's gray, big, with zip-off sleeves.  It's worn out, raddy, but soft and comfortable.  I've had it since I was 15.  I know I should get rid of it, but I just can't.  Call me Linus.  Anyway, today I got to pull my warm, fluffy sweatshirt out of the closet, clasp my coffee in my hands, and step into the brisk morning on my way to work.

It's raining right now, and I know it's only a matter of time before green trees turn to orange, yellow, and brown.  I get to light a fire in my fireplace.  The scent of pumpkin, egg nog, pine, and my central heater will fill the house.  I'll enjoy sweet and savory baked goods, warm coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate, apple cider, maybe even mulled wine this year.

What's your favorite day of the year?  Your favorite season?  Why?  What memories make it your favorite?

10 comments:

  1. I have discovered that I am like you. The sun gives me a headache. I love waking up to a foggy morning, with a mist in the air. Today it is 94, and I am looking forward to the day I can bring out my hoodie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Portland for a year, and I remember just smiling like an idiot every time I walked out into the rain. I loved it!

    My wife isn't a fan of the cold. But she likes cuddling with my by the fire :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the exact opposite. I live for spring and summer, then again, living in Florida, it's usually always summer. I crave the heat and sun. I also love the ocean breezes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miranda - I like the summer, too, and I want to visit Florida again, but when you work in a warehouse that's not air-conditioned, you learn to tolerate the heat. I just don't enjoy it very much anymore. I understand why a lot of people do, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm definitely not like you! LOL. I LOVE the sun, and the warmth and all... too good that I'm in the southern hemisphere and now spring is starting! :D So it's a win-win!
    Anyway, thx for stopping by my blog today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm more of a spring person. There's somethng intoxicating about watching as nature crawls out of a winter hibernation and bring back the beautiful colors of life. It's not to hot and not too cold. It's just right, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pulling out my sweatshirt, but it's 105 degrees here today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica - 105? Eww :P We had almost three weeks straight of 90+, and that almost killed me.

    Angela - I like spring, and the promise of fresh produce... come to think of it, Summer is really only tolerable because my wife is out of school so I get to spend time with her. Without that, I would loath that season :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live for summer and I love the first day I can walk outside and wear a skirt and tank to work without needing a jacket. But my favorite day? That has to be Christmas eve, no question. There's so much tradition and wonderfulness around that day in my family. It's pure magic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Linus (you said to call you Linus, so okay).
    I LOVE this season too! Although around here, summer dies in fits and we get a few 95 degree days even now.

    ReplyDelete