Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Building Connections

Jody Hedlund today had a great post about the purpose of a fiction writer's blog.  So with that said, I'd like to introduce you to a few of the other writers on the web who I've worked with over the last few years.

First I MUST mention Todd Newton.  He's a very good friend of mine, beyond our experiences as writers.  We hang out on an almost weekly basis, playing RPGs, discussing books, movies, and occasionally politics.  And to top it off, he's a GREAT author!

Miranda Hardy is the only other writer that I can remember who had the time to beta-read my novel to completion.  There's another writer who took a stab at it, but I haven't seen him active on the web in quite some time.  That's not why I'm telling you about Miranda, though.  Really, she took time out of her busy schedule to help out a fellow writer.  She's very friendly, observant, and willing to help!  Go show some support and check out her blog.

Next? I have bring up Hanna C. Howard again.  I'm still beta-reading her novel, and I'm convinced that she's going to be HUGE when she gets a publishing deal!  Go say hi, tell her I sent you!

It's important to make connection with other people in the industry in which you want to work.  I've been VERY fortunate to work with these people, and I hope to continue to work with them in the future.

I have a local critique group that I just joined, and I'm looking forward to the work we're going to do together!  They're equally as important as the folks I've mentioned here today, and I encourage each and every one of you to go make friends with other writers.  Offer your support to them, and be willing ask for help.  You'd be surprised at how many awesome people you'll meet!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks, Giles. I need to actually post a blog entry. Working on it!

    Also need to get some book-writing done. At some point. Way past my deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life happens, but get to it so I can push more of your books! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfully genuine tribute! I'm already following Miranda, but I will check out the other two as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giles, thank you! I'm beaming! You're right, completely. Connecting to people in this industry is so important, if only for the encouragement of knowing there are others around you doing the same thing. Now, if only I was better at actually doing that connecting... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer- you totally should :)

    Hanna- learning to connect can be a pain, sometimes. Especially when you have a full-time job like I do. And a wife I enjoy spending time with when I'm not working. But it's totally worth the effort! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great link recommendations, Giles. I'll make sure to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find Miranda to be quite gracious and interesting. Glad you posted your other links:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Giles! That was so nice of you. I'm honored to have read your book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Giles - What a great post! Having Miranda as my writing partner has been amazing. She's a kind person and a very gifted writer. I will most definitely check out the others you posted!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete