Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Guest Post: ChristaCarol Jones on Hope

I'd like to welcome ChristaCarol Jones to High Aspirations today.  ChristaCarol's daughter is the reason I chose the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as the Charity of the Month.  But rather than telling you what little I know, I'll let ChristaCarol speak.



My daughter has cancer. Every time I think or say it, the thought still knocks my breath away…and in a bad way, like falling from a two story building and landing wrong. A little over 3 months ago, Alaina was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia—one day after my son was born. My story, and of how we have learned to cope and deal with our new lives, is not what I’m here to talk to you about today, though. It isn’t going to focus on all the trials my 2 ½ year old baby girl has had to go through, but if you ever do wish to follow her progress, feel free to plug into my blog.

Today, I want to talk about hope. There are many things in our new life that give us hope. People, friends, strangers….all who’ve come out of the woodworks to help us, support us, pray for us. And then there are organizations who offer financial assistance, support, community (ever thought of how hard it would be to find someone else who was going through the same thing you were, when it isn’t all that common?). Though Alaina’s diagnosis is one of the “better” cancers to have as a child, she is still high risk, which means more treatment than the average ALL patient. And charities like the LLS (Lymphoma and Leukemia Society) help us in more ways than just money. They provide ways for research…..training….etc. If this had happened to my eldest child, when she was the same age, so 4 years ago, the chances of survival would’ve been way less. So places like LLS help improve a child’s chance of survival based on where they put the funding. Not only that, but like I said, support! Community….it’s very difficult to find other people who have children with cancer, unless you strike up conversations in clinic while your kiddo is getting her chemo. Granted, I’ve done that, and have found a very good friend in the process, who happens to live a mile away, and her son is also 2. They also have the same diagnosis. High risk ALL. But, LLS offers a way to find that community of people to connect with. Sometimes, I don’t think people realize how important it is to be able to talk to someone who is going through the same stuff as you are. It helps so tremendously much! I find that as her mother, I cannot NOT talk about her diagnosis. It’s a way of therapy…a way of relieving myself of some of my daily anxiety. And a way to remind myself…this is not a nightmare. This is our reality. My daughter has cancer. It sucks. Life is hard. But there is hope.

People like you create that hope. So please, if you have just a few minutes, donate to Light the Night, our walk for the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society. Help children and adults of cancer, and their families, have hope for the future. Because in our future, I want my daughter to be able to do all the things she’s suppose to do…go to prom, have her first kiss, go to college, get married, and have babies of her own.  Thank you, and remember, shine on! One ray of light can touch so many lives.
Shine on,
ChristaCarol Jones

Help our little girl fight leukemia and donate blood today!
Carter Bloodcare Sponsor number: SPON050875
Follow my baby girl's updates:
https://christacarol.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alainajones/


Thank you, ChristaCarol, for taking the time to join us today.  Please know that your daughter is in my prayers.

2 comments:

  1. My partner just had a bone marrow transplant in March to cure his Chronic Myeloid Leukemia, also a fairly rare blood cancer, a genetic version. We also applied and were accepted for a grant through this organization. They have been great. I donated to their walk this year. The Denver Steampunk Society hosted a picnic basket auction at the Denver County Fair. Please, please, if you have anything to spare, donate. I know they have no money in the coffers to help us this year.

    Thea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having worked in a Hemotology/Oncology department for out local hospital before, I have had a chance to meet some of the strongest people in the world, people with more hope than I thought possible.

    Thank you for sharing this today.

    ReplyDelete