Monday, November 21, 2011

Growing up...

Or maturing, if you prefer.  The other day I made a statement to myself that made me think, "Wow, I'm really an adult, now."  And that was kinda depressing.

You see, my wife and I plan on having kids some day, and about two years ago I thought, "Hey, I'm totally ready to be a dad!"  But recently I realized that I really don't want to put a kid's needs before my own wants.  I'm more than happy to put my wife's needs and wants before my own (most of the time because, let's face it, I'm not perfect and I can be selfish at times, but I'm working on that).  Sometimes I just want to hang out and do my own thing, and at this point in my life, having to take care of a child would irritate me at times.

But then I was thinking about a few video games that are coming out soon.  Games that I really want to play.  And I thought to myself, "Hey, I don't have to get them on release day.  I can wait until the price drops or they come out with an edition with all of the downloadable content that I would otherwise pay a lot of extra money for."  And then it hit me: video games excite me, but it's easy for me to just ignore them until it's convenient and/or economical for me to buy them.  It really made me think, "That's the mindset of an adult who has 'bigger' priorities."  My job, my career, my wife (not in that order) are all more important to me than video games.

I'm growing up.  Despite my efforts to retain a childlike love of life.

What's happened to you in the last few years that makes you look at your life and realize, "Hey, I'm more mature than I was last year? Two years ago? When I was in high school?"

2 comments:

  1. I think becoming a parent has forced me to grow up big time. Someone told me once that becoming a parent is the most selfless thing you can do. They were SO right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I feel sad that I'm growing up. Last Saturday I was at a bar having a beer and I left it half full. I told my fiance it was too loud there and I'd rather go home and read. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete