Monday, November 07, 2011

Rewrites

I love writing.  It makes me happy.  I get to sit at my computer, punch the keys, and make a story come to life.  When I get really into it, I'll pause when I get "blocked" to pace around the room and brainstorm.  I drink tons of water (or coffee), I eat compulsively, and I pace some more.  But I always get my thoughts on the page!

I started my rewrites today, and even though I'm struggling with it, I'm enjoying the process.  I'm still not sure how I'm going to change this book to make it better, but I have a few ideas.  That's coming through.  I think what I have is a better start than where I began in the generation of this story.  And I think I found a way to get more tension into this story.

And I learned something today: rewriting is writing!  You don't really think of that very often.  At least, I don't.  I always looked at rewriting as editing, revising, changing sentences around, making different word choices, etc..  But I've never had to craft new scenes like this before (not because I'm that good, simply because I didn't know it was necessary on this book until now).  And I remembered why I love writing!  I have a better grasp on the characters, too.  This means I get to shape them the way they're meant to be shaped from the beginning!

Anyway, I have a weird week ahead, so I'm going to finish this up and get a bit more writing done before I have to go to work.

Question of the week: Do you like rewriting?  Why?  Why not?

7 comments:

  1. I enjoy it most of the time. It allows me to get right something I rushed through or clarify something I might have glossed over. I figure I can either look at it as more work, or an opportunity to make my story better. I just wish there wasn't always so damn much of it to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Giles,
    Congrats on starting your rewrite. As they say in the trades, the writing really IS in the rewriting. Here's a link to my blog post about the massive rewriting I'm doing on my massive novel.
    http://www.chrisdevlinwrites.com/blog/?p=1403
    Warning: It's OCD. In the extreme.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd - I'm fortunate in that I don't have a very big book. I may have quite a few rewrites (I'll find out as I get through them), but not nearly as many as you rack up in your massive novels.

    Chris - I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your re-write! I tend to like it, so long as I have a concrete plan of what I need to do. Otherwise, I am easily distracted by, well, just about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think rewriting is awesome. Making your work better - that can only be a good thing.

    I remember basically throwing out an entire manuscript once and starting again. I think I kept about 6 original scenes and everything else was new. The story was so much better.

    It was really hard to start again, but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh - and I forgot to say - GOOD LUCK and have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it and hate it.

    I hate it because I want to wish that what I wrote at first was absolutely perfect.

    So once the reality kicks in and the rewriting begins, I find that I can discover new heights and new depths based upon the foundation built with the first draft. That's what I love about rewrites.

    ReplyDelete