Friday, January 06, 2012

Community, not Advertising

For some reason, I keep getting requests from various companies to promote their products on my blog.  I don't know what the products are, and I only see them about once every two or three months (whenever I look at my spam-inbox to make sure nothing slipped through the cracks and to just empty it).  As you regulars know, I never promote products on this blog aside from books and maybe a few websites that I use and REALLY like.  My oath to all of you is that I will never sell ad space on this blog.  I reserve the right to sell ad space (if it's ever an option) on other blogs or websites I may create in the future, but never here.

What really boggles my mind is the plethora of spam comments I've received lately asking me to post about products, politics, and religion (specifically a religion I fundamentally disagree with).  So if you're not spamming me, know that I won't push your product, I won't discuss politics (regardless of how passionate I am about my political beliefs), or religion (even though I am a man of faith).  This isn't the place for that.  This is where I want to engage in discussions about writing and community.  Community is why I turned off comment moderation (for posts newer than 14 days since you have to dig through the archives to comment on the older ones, and that's where most of the spam's been coming in).  Community is why I started the Charity of the Month.  And it's why I try to support other bloggers and authors.

So if you post a comment asking me to discuss any of the aforementioned topics, I will delete it.  On the other hand, if you have a charity you'd like me to talk about, PLEASE leave a comment with a link to their website.  I'm always on the lookout for great charities.  Just not pharmaceutical products, supplements, or subscription services.

3 comments:

  1. UGH! I've been getting an increase of comments and requests as well. iPhone apps and directions? What the heck does that have to do with my post about facing a challenge head on? Is the app going to zap my problems away?

    Sheesh...sorry you're dealing with this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, so you don't want to promote my fantasy-football team picking octopus (only 19.99 with S&H--tank not included)?? (Couldn't resist--sorry!)

    That does suck though! Makes me wonder who on earth is out there thinking "hey, this might work!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I hate all the silly spam, but at least it's being filtered out by Blogger.

    ReplyDelete