Wednesday, January 04, 2012

The New Year

I know the new year has been around for a few days, and many people have already blogged about it.  I'm not going to make resolutions (I never really do).  I just plan on working hard, like I did last year.

One thing I really want to do this year, though, is learn to write short stories.  I've taken about every creative writing college course available at an undergraduate level.  And I've been forced to write short stories.  None of them were worth publishing, but I did learn a lot about writing.  It helped me form some of my creative processes that will (hopefully) help me get an agent this year.

But I know it's important to write short stories.  Four of my top five (current) favorite authors have all had short stories published, and those four are all NYT Bestsellers.  I know at least one of them writes shorts as a way to reach out to readers who could be his audience but as-of-yet have not read any of his work.

I don't plan on submitting these stories anywhere, either.  These stories will be for you, my blog readers.  Next year I may try to get some shorts published, but I want to write some stuff for my blog.  I get tired (as I imagine some of you do) of giving basic status updates.  I want some substance.  That's about it for me today, and my plans are simple.

See you Friday.

3 comments:

  1. I love short stories. I plan to write more this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short stories are a great way to reach out to new readers. Also great way to give yourself a little room for development of character traits through shorts. Maybe do a novella for a secondary character. Great stuff. I wish you the best as you work towards getting better at writing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with those! look forward to reading about your success!

    ReplyDelete