Monday, January 30, 2012

Short Stories

So last week I started writing a Sci-Fi short story.  I've tried my hand at some shorts before, including Flatiron City, but I've never been very good at it.  As I mentioned before, my plan is to post these shorts on this blog, and today I want to go in-depth as to why that's my plan.

First of all, I want to share my writing with all of you, and original pieces that aren't part of a book are a great way to do that without potentially violating a publishing contract or teasing you with excerpts from a book that may never get published.

Second of all, the style that I'm writing isn't something I've seen in Sci-Fi magazines before.  Now, I don't read every magazine ever published, but in my experience, most of those periodicals are looking for something more abstract, avant garde, and very high-brow.  I have nothing against that, but that's not what I want to write.  I want to write pulp fiction.  The hard-hitting, in-your-face action adventure that takes place in outerspace.  And I don't want it to take itself too seriously.

This is fun for me, and I get to do a lot of experimentation as I play around with my style.  Again, I have nothing against all of that other stuff, and I really want to take the time to read more of it, but it's not what I see myself writing.  And in my (admittedly limited) experience, that just doesn't get published.  So I'll publish it hear, after extensive editing and revising.

2 comments:

  1. Okay. So I'm wondering. Is some of this going to be like Cowboy Bebop cool style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the short stories, Giles. I look forward to reading them.

    ReplyDelete