Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Excuses

I don't remember who said it, but I heard once that "People who want to write, write.  Everyone else makes excuses."  Well I have a confession: I've been making a lot of excuses lately.

Don't get me wrong, I've been writing.  I have these regular posts, I'm working on a short story, and I'm trying to put together another book.  But the book that I want to query has to wait until I hear back from a friend of mine who is looking it over for flaws.

I've been tempted to put my eggs all in that basket, and I know that's a mistake.  That's why I'm sitting down to write this short story.  I know I need to write.  I know I need the practice.  And I need a break from novels.  This gives me a chance to experiment with genre, POV, voice, and format.  And it's been a huge learning experience for me.

But I'm still making excuses now and then.  I sleep later than I should because "I don't have any ideas right now."  Or, "In a few days I'll get back to it.  I just need a break because I worked so hard on that one book."

That's going to change.  Because I want to write.  I would love to say that I'm done making excuses, but I won't lie to you.  What I am going to do is continue to write, and I'll do my best to stop avoiding what I genuinely love to do.

What about you: do you make excuses?  What gets in the way of your desire to write?  What do you do to make sure that you're still writing even when you want to make excuses?

3 comments:

  1. My grandfather, a former pastor RIP, used to say that an excuse is little more than a lie all dressed up.

    I didn't like hearing him say it, mainly because it was in response to an excuse I'd given lol!! But as I've grown older, I see the truth in his words.

    I sure hope you get to work on that short story. I think that's the one that is supposed to be a fun sci-fi/space opera sort of thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Giles :) It's easy to make excuses, for sure and I hope you have luck with the short story. The biggest problem for me is carving out time to write. But I twisted my perspective around: I have a particular writing time and if I choose to do something else, I am cutting into writing time, not the other way around (trying take time away from other activities to write) Ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read a post on why we shouldn't make excuses. lol

    Yes, I admit, I make excuses. I use my children as an excuse often. I'll sleep in on the weekend, too.

    I'm with you. No more excuses. Let's get things done.

    ReplyDelete