Monday, February 27, 2012

Show Business

I LOVE shows about show business.  Studio 60 was one of the best shows I've ever seen.  I loved the behind-the-scenes of how a show is written, put together, and fixed on-the-fly when disaster strikes.  Whether it's accurate to reality or not isn't what's important (even though I heard there were some accuracies, and from what I know of producing shows, there is a touch of reality in the last-minute panic).  I love the drama.

I love well-written movies about writing books, creating prose, getting from the bottom to that magical moment of publishing.  I can't remember any such movies off the top of my head, but Finding Forester is one of my favorites.  That scene where Jamal just sits and stares at the typewriter is right on the money for me!

So my new favorite show?  Smash!  It has music, writers, actors, and it shows the behind-the-scenes!  Like Studio 60, I don't know how accurate it is to reality, but from what little I know of putting together a live event, I imagine much of the process is similar to what the writers and producers show on the screen.

Life in show-business is hard.  That's one of the reasons we've adopted "celebrities" as modern royalty.  Many people struggle to reach the top, and the tension of that climb makes for great entertainment!

What about you?  Do you like the struggle?  I get tired of real celebrities.  In fact, the tabloids bore me.  As do the complaints of celebrities who "have it all" but still "need" more.  But shows about them?  Where many of them seem like real people who aren't self-absorbed?  It's great!  Do you agree?  Disagree?

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I enjoy learning about thier journey more than listening to the latest gossip. I don't watch any specific shows, but I've enjoyed the 60 minute segments when they feature the life of a specific person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying Smash too. Have you seen Midnight in Paris? If you like books about writing and writers, I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm feeling totally out of the loop--haven't even heard of Smash! I'll have to check it out. I don't really understand the infatuation with celebs, but I do like to see the behind the scenes fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a love-hate relationship with NBC since they canceled Studio 60. That was one of the dumber moves they've ever made.

    Reality TV is boring and stupid. It's just a waste of time and talent. There are a million wonderful writers out there that are dying to make good television and yet we pander to the lowest common denominator of Snooki and the Kardashians. Blech. The only good I've found in that crap is the fodder they create for Joel McHale and The Soup...

    ReplyDelete