Friday, March 02, 2012

Charity of the Month: Safe Passage

I heard a disturbing statistic last weekend: 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused by the age of 18.  To me, the very idea that anyone could bring that kind of physical and emotional harm to a child makes me physically ill.  That statistic bothered me so much that I got a hold of a friend of mine who is championing this cause.  She's in the process of building a charity that will help sex-slaves around the world.  Next month, I hope to focus on a charity of that nature, but this month we're looking closer to home.

Safe Passage helps to provide counseling and shelter to children and non-offending guardians in two counties in southern Colorado.  This is more local than the other charities I've featured, so if you feel more comfortable giving to a charity in your area, I recommend a quick Google search, and applaud you :).

I don't have any experience with this issue, but I love kids!  I never want a child to come to harm.  For those who do come to harm, I want the best help available for them.  And I want this abuse to stop!

So please consider donating to this charity or one like it in your community so we can end the cycle.  And have a great month and a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Giles,
    I warms my heart – really hot – that you have acted so fast, after hearing my comment at the RMFW meeting last weekend when we were discussing my novel, Vagilantes.

    You must have learned a lot this week about child sexual abuse. Thank you for stepping up to support Safe Passage.

    Great news since our meeting last weekend: Vagilantes, went live on 2/29. It can be purchased today from the publisher, Abbott Press. (free preview) Full distribution is expected by mid-March on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.

    Vagilantes is Dexter meets Venus rising against pedophiles.
    (Please allow the book plug.)

    There's much we can do to stop pedophiles – so glad you are on the team. Very impressive response!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a staggering, and horrible, statistic! Thanks for pointing out this charity, I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If you haven't any charity in your heart you have the worst kind of heart trouble" to cure it help people, let's unite for one good cause, be a volunteer"save lives"!
    mawaddainternationalaid

    ReplyDelete