Wednesday, March 14, 2012

How to Stay Positive

I read an awesome book.  So awesome that I stayed up late last night to finish it.  A review will be forthcoming on Friday.

As for today's topic, I've found that remaining positive is as simple as focusing on the good things that are going on in your writing career.  It gets hard, sometimes you WANT to scream, throw your computer at the wall, and give up.  But as Bobby McFerrin and Dennis Prager say, "Don't worry.  Be happy."

When you feel like giving up, CHOOSE to be happy.  You may ask, "It can't be THAT easy, can it?"

My answer is, "Yes."  I've tried it.  Many times.  And it works!  Choosing to have a positive attitude, whether I FEEL like it or not, does make it easier to move forward with my writing.  But this translates to the rest of my life, too.

On the other hand, sometimes it's VERY difficult.  You're going to want to give up, and you're going to want to pour out your heart on your blog, on Facebook, and to random writers you run into at conferences.  But make sure that all of those negative thoughts are reserved for your close support group.

And I AM advocating that you get it out.  As I've said before, you have to have other writers to share with.  We have to help each other with our burdens.  But if we stay positive with those folks outside of our inner-circle, it WILL translate to a genuine positive attitude that will make you FEEL happy more often.

8 comments:

  1. Staying positive is so important. Glad you posted on this subject today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Giles, I'm enjoying your youthful enthusiasm. :)
    Choosing to be positive is a very powerful idea.
    Now, I choose to write something really
    good for my WIP...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good, too. But don't be fooled by my baby-face: I'm MUCH more jaded than I look :)

      Delete
  3. This is a lesson that someday I will manage to drill into my husband's head. Seriously. It may take power tools (okay, joking, obviously :). It's true though--we have the ability to chose how we face things, and that makes such a difference! Not that I haven't cried over rejections before though, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm far from being the world's most positive person, however, you are quite right about thinking positive. In some of those moments where it was easier to wallow in my situation, think no one else could possibly understand where I was at or what I was feeling, it was choosing to see the positive that really got me up and out. Choosing the positive thought leads to the positive frame of mind and forward movement away from the negative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that a cold beer works pretty well. Not joking. Nothing wrong with a refreshing reward for your labor...if you so happen to enjoy a libation from time to time.

    Gusto

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good points, Giles. I positively want to throw my computer out the window and have a "good" cry. Just joking – I feel fine, but even better after your attitude checking post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice, Giles. Sometimes just pasting on a smile will make me feel better...

    ReplyDelete