Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Alpha Consuming

Last week, Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton launched a new YouTube channel that is focused on geek culture.  Check it out here.

I mention this simply because it furthers my argument that in this day and age, geeks and nerds are cultural and social alpha-consumers.  The show Sword and Laser is evidence of this.  (For those of you who don't know, Sword and Laser is a show dedicated to SF/F news.)

The problem that I still see is that no one seems to care what we geeks actually want to see in the theaters, on the bookstore shelves, on television, etc..  Don't believe me?  Michael Bay ruined Transformers for a large portion of the genuine, old-school fans.  Soon he'll backhand the fans of TMNT with an abomination of a movie that will be insulting to anyone and everyone familiar with the franchise.

In my opinion, geeks between the age of 12 and 18 are the future of the publishing industry.  Why?  Because they spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars every year on books that inspire their imagination!

These are the guys (and many of them are guys, though the female segment of the demographic is equally important) who spend money on technology.  They decide which e-reader is cool, they spend hours, days, weeks, months looking for e-books that will satisfy their desire to be entertained.  And many of them are trying to WRITE books that fill a need that's not being met.

The geeks and nerds are an important part of why I write.  Why? I'm sure most of you already know that I'm ONE OF THEM!  I play tabletop RPGs.  I read hardcore fantasy novels that let me escape this universe and transport me to a world of magic, elves, gnomes, and new languages created for the single purpose of engaging the reader in that world.

What's the point of this?  Honestly, I'm not sure.  But I wish the publishing industry would invest more in this demographic.  Not sure how that might happen, but I'm going to try to get the demographic more involved in the industry and see where it goes from there.

1 comment: