Friday, April 06, 2012

It Feels Great!

Remaining productive is important.  Not only for the sake of getting something done, but also because we, as writers, need to keep moving forward, learning and building our skills.  More than that, though: it feels AMAZING to accomplish something.

I can't tell you how excited I am to be working on a new project.  I love the ideas I'm coming up with, even though I'm still in the early stages of outlining.  I have two protagonists, an internal antagonist for each of them, and two external antagonists.  I'm ironing out their motivations, but that'll come as I write the overarching plot.  The motivations will tie in VERY closely with the internal plots.

I did try a bit of a free-write for the YA romance I hoped to write, and it didn't feel right.  I think this is important.  If a writer isn't excited about their story, it can be a real battle.  And the story may even turn into a total waste of time (depending on how it's approached).  Some day I'd love to jump back in to this project, but there's a lot I need to learn about the genre.

What do you have to be excited about?  What amazing accomplishments feel great this week?

5 comments:

  1. I'm tickled by your excitement. So glad that you have a direction, Giles – run, run, run! I mean, write, write, write!
    This week, I was thrilled to confirm the first public reading/book-signing for Vagilantes. It will be at Beaverdale Books, in Des Moines, Iowa on April 21, 11-1:00. Now, it's time for promo work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice! My father-in-law and my wife's grandparents all live in Des Moines. I haven't been there in years, though. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Leah R.12:51 AM

    I crafted today. I probably should have been writing poetry to practice, but hey, I got something accomplished! By the way, have you read Timeless yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, I haven't read Timeless yet. It's up next on my list of books to read. And I'm going to review it!

      Delete
  3. Short post, but it hit the spot. Feeling down about my writing lately so your enthusiasm is a good boost.

    ReplyDelete