Monday, May 07, 2012

Coffee and Donuts

I love junk food.  Especially donuts and good coffee.  It tastes great, and it makes me feel like an adult.  I don't know why, but it does.

Life is odd.  Sometimes (for me), the things that should make me feel like an adult just remind me of how much growth I still have ahead of me.  Home-ownership, for example, has taught me that I am actually mature enough to pay a mortgage, but I desperately hate the responsibility of taking care of my home.  I thought about that the other day when I remembered that I want to get rid of the carpet in my condo.  Sure, it's mine, so I can make that decision, but there's a big part of me that would rather shrug and say, "It's not my problem."  You know, because someone else owns the place.

Writing, on the other hand, makes me realize how much I've grown since I "became and adult."  I make the decisions that will lead me toward success.  And I take responsibility for the decisions that prevent me from making progress.

I'm not sure where this twisting, winding tangent is going, but it's nice to think about donuts, coffee, a day job, a career, and my own home.  And it all comes back to the coffee and donuts.

Man, I wish I'd grabbed some donuts on my way in to work today.

5 comments:

  1. I say we sell our houses, open a donut shop, and write books in the backroom while doling out donuts and coffee. Who's with me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are SO funny ... & thoughtful ... & gifted ... I'll bring donuts to the shop for you ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I go to Starbucks I have this little moment where I'm like "when did I get old enough to do this?" I mean, I'm usually only getting a hot chocolate, but it's still kind of random. Funny what things make you think, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just hoping to get some coffee and donuts. Really :-)

    I'll send you some virtually. Can't taste a thing but it comes from one growing writer to another.

    ReplyDelete