Friday, May 11, 2012

The Hard Stuff

I don't know about any of you, but when I was a kid, I had a tendency to finish the difficult tasks I was given before I moved on to the easy tasks.  I did this because I knew that the longer I put them off, the harder it would be for me to finish those tasks.  And I saw the easy, sometimes fun, tasks as my "reward" for doing the hard stuff I desperately needed accomplish.

I'm actually disappointed that writing doesn't work this way for me.  That's because I LOVE writing.  I wish I could finish the synopsis, the query letter, and ALL of the editing so that I could reward myself with the first draft.  Okay, the second draft is actually my favorite part of the process, but you see what I mean.  I have to outline first (which is fun), then write the book, then edit, then re-edit, then write the synopsis and query letter, and THEN I can go out and talk to agents.

It's funny how life works that way, sometimes.  But this is STILL what I love!  :D

2 comments:

  1. I agree! The first couple of drafts are the best part of the process for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would be perfectly content to write first drafts forever :) They're just so much more fun for me. But, that's not where the hard work lies, and I regularly wish for more of a reward to push me through revisions!

    ReplyDelete