Friday, June 15, 2012

Book Review: Timeless by Gail Carriger

Here comes the long-awaited review of the long-awaited finale to Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate.  It was awesome!

You want more?  Okay, it was REALLY awesome!  In my opinion, Carriger knocked it out of the park.  As with my other reviews, I don't want to put out any spoilers, but here's the spoiler alert for any of you who have not read books one and two.  I'm going to spoil those books for you.

Alexia Maccon has to solve a murder.  And keep her toddler under control.  It's a task that's made difficult by her husband being the blustering, sometimes blundering, giant-of-a-Scott that he is.  And it's more difficult because Alexia, her husband, toddler, and a VERY silly acting troupe, must all go to Egypt to discover the why of the murder.

Meanwhile, the young dandy(Carriger's word, not mine)-of-a-new-guy in the pack is left behind to solve the who of the murder.  But he also has to deal with the pack's secretive Beta and the Alpha of a brusque, uncouth pack in the north of Scotland.

Carriger's characteristic wit is woven throughout this story, and she's ratcheted up the action and thrills several notches.  The transitions between characters is flawless as ever, and the plot is engaging and satisfactorily executed.

All in all, this series is one of the best sets of books I have ever read.  If you were waiting for her to complete the series to read it, you're out of excuses.  Go buy all five books and have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I've got Soulless, with I believe is the first of the series, on my TBR list. It's a swollen list from which I think I'll pluck Soulles and move it closer to the top.

    By the way, loved the review and don't feel spoiled at all...much more intrigued actually.

    ReplyDelete