Monday, July 09, 2012

5 Movies Every Writer Should Watch

I wouldn't call these the top five movies of all time, but if you want great inspiration for great story-telling, you should watch these movies:

 Brave: I know this movie JUST came out, but it was GREAT!  The dialogue, emotional connection to the protagonist, and the pacing of the story are textbook examples of how every writer should plot their books.  If you haven't seen it yet, go out and watch it as soon as possible!
 Finding Forrester: This is one of my favorite films.  I saw it right when it came out on DVD, and it's actually the first movie I ever OWNED on DVD.  If you don't know, this is the story of a young man in the inner city who is struggling to get out of his neighborhood.  With the help of a Pulitzer Prize winning agoraphobic, he sharpens his craft and gets the chance to make something of his life.
High Fidelity: What Top 5 list would be complete without this film?  It's a movie based off of Nicholas Hornby's book by the same name, and it's about a record collector/record-store owner who is learning to cope with the fact that every girl he's ever been with has rejected him.  It's funny, geeky, and it's filled with quotable lines!  And it's my favorite movie of all time.
Lucky Number Slevin: This is a great movie, with plot twists that would make O'Henry's head spin.  A classic case of mistaken identity drags Slevin Kalevra into a gang war between to crime bosses who are desperate to keep their cold war from escalating.  Don't stop watching, though: you'll never see the end coming!
Ocean's 11: I love this movie.  I love the dialogue, the pacing of the plot, the unseen movement of the players in the story.  It's a great model for any writer who wants to see how a clever, intriguing mystery should be plotted out.














And that's it.  There are many more movies that can be inspirational to the writer's mind, but these are the top 5 that I recommend.  What about you?  What movies inspire you to write?

6 comments:

  1. It's been so long since I've seen some of these. I'd like to see Brave, too. I think I need to update my Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only managed to catch two of these--I'm with Miranda, I think I need to do some Netflix-ing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. High Fidelity, yes! My favorites for dialog: Pulp Fiction, The Big Lebowski, Snatch, Casablanca, Sideways, Flying Down to Rio. Great post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NICE! I'll have to check those out. I've seen The Big Lebowski, Pulp Fiction, and Snatch, and I think they have great dialogue, too. I need to see the other ones, though. Especially Casablanca. It's actually quite a shame that I haven't seen it yet.

      Delete