Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Looking For Ideas

For those of you who are familiar with some of my previous posts, you know I have a hard time staying active in writing forums.  I've always felt that if I don't have anything significant to add to a conversation, I might as well stay out of it.  On top of that, I don't have a lot of free time to spend going back and forth to the forums to respond to the things people say in regards to a topic to which I CAN contribute.  The same goes for most blogs.  I'd love to go back and forth to the dozen or so blogs that I follow and discuss topics in the comments, but I barely have time to respond to the comments I receive here.

So I'm looking for more ideas on ways to connect with other writers and potential readers.  I'm open to many things, even if that means my blogging suffers.  I'm MAKING more time for my writing because I'm tired of wasting my time in front of the TV.  But I don't want my WRITING to suffer because I'm performing tasks RELATED to writing.  That doesn't mean that I'm going to be querying less, in fact,  I need to do that more.  I don't want to blog less, but I don't have enough to say to justify blogging more often (and for the few of you who were here when I blogged five days a week, remember how boring that got?).

The point I'm driving at is I want to spend more time pursuing my career so that I can eventually quit my job.  I have no illusions about how difficult that will be.  I don't expect it to happen in the next five years, even if I get a traditional publishing contract in that time.  But what do you, my fellow writers and my readers think?  Again, I don't want to put up ads, and I don't want a paypal button.  But should I, perhaps, create a new blog where I provide more serious writing content and short stories and sell ad space?  Should I buy ad space?  Or should I perhaps start offering to go in to schools to teach some writing seminars?  Should I put together some instructional videos?  Offer critiques?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but if you drop by here, I'm interested in hearing what you'd like to see on this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Spend most of your time writing and improving craft. You can easily keep contacts by leaving comments on other blogs, Facebook, twitter, whatever you choose. It'll take less time than starting another blog Think of it this way: everyone loves people who listen. Also write and submit short stories to build your rep as a writer.

    ReplyDelete