Monday, August 06, 2012

New Beginnings to Replace Old Beginnings

Rewriting is part of the writing process.  In fact, it's one of the most important parts of the writing process.  Last week I labored through two and a half pages of my new WiP.  It took me five days to get 600 words on the page.  Last night, eager to spend my alone-time in a productive manner, I sat down to see what I could do with this story that excites me but apparently needs some motivation to get out of my brain.  I took one look at what I'd written and threw it out.

Starting over isn't a big deal.  Chances are I'll scrap THIS chapter, too, and create at least four or five different renditions of "Chapter 1."  That's just how it's worked for me in the past.  But I HAVE to get the story rolling.  And in two days I got almost 600 words on the page that are FAR better than what I fought to get up all last week.

What about you?  Do you struggle with beginnings the way I seem to?  How do you deal with that?

5 comments:

  1. Not more than three or four times before I get to "The End" - as many as necessary after that.

    B^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's usually how it works for me, too, but sometimes I end up with only three or four rewrites total. Not that that's significant since I haven't had anything published, yet :)

      Delete
  2. I've changed the first two chapters of my "finished" suspense novel five times so far...and now I'm thinking of changing it back to revision #4. This is neverending beginning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something I tell myself to "help" get past the beginning is that it isn't the real beginning. Of course, that doesn't stop me from changing it three or more times. I think it's just something we, as writers, have to deal with!

    My current WiP has had four different beginnings since March when I first started it. Once I got farther into the story I stopped worrying so much about the beginning, and more about just getting the story OUT. First draft is all creativity (and crap writing) and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel. The only reason I may do some rewriting is if it's essential to the overall plot or if I've lost momentum while writing chapter 1. It's not as common as I made it seem in this post :)

      Delete