FINAL UPDATE: Contest is closed.
Here are the official rules:
1. UPDATE (Something I forgot to put in here the first time around): Entries must be devoid of the senses of Sight and Sound. This is Sensory Deprivation. The goal is to stretch as writers and put together a scene with only Touch, Taste, and Smell. And entries must be no MORE than 400 words. I'm limiting it for the sake of consistency among the competitors.
2. Entries must be e-mailed to me. The entry must be EMBEDDED IN THE BODY OF THE E-MAIL.
Attachments will be deleted. Send the e-mails here [link removed]. Put Sensory Submission in the subject line.
3. Previously published stories are ineligible. HOWEVER, as soon as the winners are announced,
feel free to do whatever you like with your story. With one exception...
The Winners will have their stories featured on this blog, both in the
post-of-the-day and alongside other short stories that will be posted in their own, separate pages. The Winners (and all other entrants) agree that I do NOT own the intellectual property, but all entrants
acknowledge that the Winners (and only the Winners) are giving me full
permission to post their story on this blog for no LESS than 30 days. After 30 days, stories will ONLY be pulled down at the author 's request. Unless the blog shutters, gets lost, or an
unforeseeable event forces me to remove it. The winner also agrees to
refrain from publishing the story on their own sight until the next post
is published on this blog. (Example: if the winning entry is published
on Friday, the Winner will wait until Monday to put the story up on
their own site. If it's Monday, it can go up elsewhere Wednesday, and
if Wednesday, then it can get published on Friday.)
5. The entry period begins at 12:00am MDT, September 1, 2012. There will be a limit of 20 entrants. I know that's not very many, but this is to ensure that all entries will be read and winners selected in a reasonable amount of time. When the 20th entry is received, the entry period will be closed, this post will be updated, and the e-mail address will be removed. If fewer than 20 entries have been received, the entry period will close at 11:59pm MDT, September 30, 2012.
6. There will be three winners. One grande prize winner and two first prize winners. All winners will have their stories featured on this blog (as stated above). The grande prize winner will get their choice of a $25 dollar gift card to Amazon, iBooks, OR Nook (winner decides); OR a ten-page critique from me. First prize winners may select a $10 gift card to ONE of the sites listed above, OR a first page critique, OR a query letter critique.
Now remember that I'll be writing a story as well, to be featured here while I judge the entries. As some of you may remember, I said this is limited to U.S. Residents. I'm going to amend that to say that ANYONE can enter AS LONG AS you have a mailing address in the United States where I can send the gift card. If you prefer the critique, then this is a moot point because that'll be done over the internet.
I ask that any questions you may have be posted in the comments. Please use the e-mail only for entries. Thank you, and I'm looking forward to your stories!