Monday, September 10, 2012

Book Review: Thomas Redpool Goes to Hell by Todd Newton

Thomas Redpool Goes to Hell is a religious satire by my friend, Todd Newton.

It begins on an elevator ride down to Hell with what should be a completely unrelatable character who saw sins in the Bible as more of a "to-do" list than a "do not" list.  Throughout the narrative, Redpool's innermost thoughts confirm that he is the worst kind of human being and deserves every bit of suffering he might receive.  But the narrative voice and well-thought-out characterization kept me rooting for Redpool up to the very end.  At not point did I think to myself, "You know, this guy needs to be punched in the face."

The overall plot intrigued me, as well.  I won't ruin it for you, but the twists and turns it took kept me engaged, and I found satisfaction in a wrap-up that left no dangling threads or unanswered questions.

As far as satire is concerned, I laughed at a few jokes, but it wasn't as funny as I'd hoped.  I know other readers found it funny, so I may have missed the jokes.  And for the record, I did not find a single page of that book to be offensive.

Overall, I think Thomas Redpool Goes to Hell is a good book.  Would I recommend it?  That depends.  I certainly wouldn't warn anyone to stay away from it, but as such a niche book that deals with what is still considered a touchy subject, I think I would have to know your tastes before I told you, "Go get it!"

Personally, I enjoyed it.  And if you like satire, go ahead and pick it up.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun read, though possibly not something I'd recommend to my MIL :)

    ReplyDelete