Monday, September 17, 2012

How to make time

It's funny how much I've been able to accomplish over the last several weeks, even without giving up other commitments.  Sure, I haven't played video games or watched TV as much as I used to, but other than that, I've still been able to have fun.  And with my wife, no less!

Something my friend Aaron Ritchey said at the conference really stood out to me (and I'm paraphrasing here): if the amount of free time I have is more time than it takes to boot up my computer, I'm going to sit down and work.

That's how I've made time to write.  Any time I that I have ten minutes or more (because I'm not going to boot up my computer for less than five minutes writing), I sit down to work on my book.

Okay, in all honesty, I'm not NEARLY that efficient with my time, but I'm getting much better than I used to be.  Remember, we all need to spend some time to rest, but if you spend an extra twenty minutes a day writing that you would otherwise spend flipping through the news, goofing off, or anything else that takes away from your writing time, then you could add almost two and a half hours a week to your schedule!

So what about all of you?  What have you given up in order to make more time to write?

5 comments:

  1. Wondering why anyone boots the computer. Mine is on 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Jax! Welcome :).

      My wife and I keep our computers turned off because it does cost us more money than we'd like to spend each month. Also, my desktop isn't connected to the internet. It's REALLY old, in a bedroom we rarely use, and not where I did most of my writing. So I only turn the thing on when I plan on using it.

      I know a few other writers who are cutting back on power usage, too. But that's really the only reason I can see for turning off a desktop. Laptops, I know from experience, can burn out in less than five years if they stay on all the time.

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to find balance because I'd gone a little too far into the sacrifice, mainly sacrificing time with my Chipmunk. I'm learning to make more time for her because she's my kiddo and it does little good to fight hard for my writing dreams only to have her look at it in a negative light. So it's a daily balancing act. Some days I manage. Other days, well, yeah lol!!1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you, there. If writing is your calling, it's definitely vital to make time for it, but it's always important to spend time with the little ones. Gotta make many sacrifices as a parent in both directions. I'm really happy to hear that you're putting in the effort to do both :D.

      Delete
  3. I'm giving up my never-ending cycle of errand running. While I make more writing time, I also save gas and money. Totally a win-win.

    ReplyDelete