Monday, October 08, 2012

Different Sacrifices

So a while ago, I wrote about making time for writing.  But today I want to talk about the other side of sacrifices in any pursuit.

It's always great to give up unnecessary time-wasters to make time for your desired career, but how important is this dream?  I ask because yesterday, rather than sitting down to write all afternoon, I went to the zoo.

Not alone.  I went with my wife and a few friends.  One of those friends is getting deployed to Afghanistan for nine months.  I decided that if, for some awful reason, something were to happen to him, I would always regret wasting my day writing a book when I could've been spent time with him.

I know a few of you can relate, what with kids and spouses.  It's like I said in the other post: a balance must be found.  And if writing is your passion, some sacrifices will be made, but don't make sacrifices you may regret.

If you do regret your sacrifices, don't dwell on it.  Just remember, not a single successful person in the history of the world ever looked back and said, "You know, I wish I hadn't missed that one episode of my favorite TV show."  Or, "That movie looked great.  If it wasn't for my book, I would've been able to see it and talk about it with my friends!"

So what are you willing to sacrifice for?  Why would you set aside your writing for a day?  And what's something that, maybe, it's time to give up for the sake of advancing that career?

I know for me, I don't miss TV as much as I thought I would.  Of course, I still watch now and then, but I don't miss the overwhelming amount of shows I used to schedule my life around.

6 comments:

  1. I'd have to say you made the right call. Spending time with friends and family is important. They have to know you still exist :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Angela -- family and friends are more important than anything else. I do need to give up more television though. I'm making a gradual transition by watching TV with my laptop on my lap so I can visit blog posts and leave comments...I often find I've missed most of a show...and don't even care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is always a balancing act and it's hard to keep an even keel. Writing time is at such a premium these days but I have two grandchildren who will be grown before I turn around twice. It's not unusual for me to come down on the side of the kids. Nice post, Giles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice. As a stay at home mom, I regret the time I spend on my writing instead of with my kids, but when I'm spending time with my kids & hubby (especially if a project is on fire!), I regret I'm not writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's definitely touch to balance, and at the moment, it makes me glad I don't have kids. I hope to have kids some day, and I know everything about my life will change. I just don't know how. I'm not ready for the possibility that I might have to give up some of my writing time. I have a LOT of respect for people make time for both family and writing, especially when they have a full time job ON TOP of all that.

      Delete