Monday, October 22, 2012

Post-Conference Slump

As with many writers, I had a great post-conference bounce that filled me with energy, excitement for the future, and a generally positive attitude that helped me dive back into my writing.

It seems like that's gone, now.  Not in a negative fashion, just back to "normal."  I definitely have energy to write, and I'm still making time to write, but the routine took over, life got in the way, and now I'm back to working when I can, writing when I can, and sleeping or eating the rest of the time.

I still love my work, and I'm very excited about my projects.  My status simply hasn't changed.  And even though I'm seeking opportunities to advance my career, it's still not moving forward.  Yet.

And don't get me wrong, this isn't a complaint, it's just the "current status" of my career.  Like I said, that hasn't changed.  At the moment, the energy, the enthusiasm, the drive to move forward is simply waning.  It's like a turbo-boost in a sci-fi themed racing game.  The conference propelled me forward, but eventually the boost goes away.

Then comes the slump.  Again, not a dip below "max speed," just a return to the status quo.

2 comments:

  1. That's why I love the timing of the Northern Colorado Writers member retreat (this coming weekend) and NaNoWriMo in November. If I start to hit that post-Colorado Gold slump, those two events get me going again. Have you tried NaNoWriMo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Giles. It's happened to me more than once. This year I've been trading emails with a fellow RMFW member, the great Carol Caverly, posting checklists of writing goals each Monday and reporting progress each Friday. It's been gratifyingly effective. Good luck with your writing.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete