Monday, October 29, 2012

Stay Healthy!

Let's be honest: writers have a reputation for being rather unhealthy.  There's that stereotype of the withdrawn drunkard with his notepad (or laptop) at the local bar, swilling beer and whiskey (or vodka or gin, and in some cases absinth), chowing down on potato chips, tortilla chips, fish and chips... etc.  And, let's face it: most of us drink OBSCENE amounts of coffee (though for some odd reason I've given up the delicious elixir and I'm glad the headaches are finally gone).

So how do we stay healthy?  Eat better!  Seriously.  It's that simple.  I'm not going to get preachy about all the liberal blah, blah, blah about how being fat is worse than killing penguins.  I'm just going to admit that when I eat well and exercise a bit (and I rarely exercise because I work in a warehouse for a living and I need to sit down now and then) I can actually think.

Let me say that a different way.  When I'm eating well and I don't feel bloated by Doritos and pizza, I can concentrate on what I'm trying to write!  I can think, I can focus, and I have the energy to continue focusing on my work.

Another big thing I'm a proponent of: being healthy, in my opinion, is all about feeling healthy.  So this isn't about superficial appearances.  This is about whether or not you feel sick when you eat.  Having 6% body-fat isn't healthy for everyone.  And some people have better lives when they have a bit more "meat" on their bones, while I know I would have serious issues if I weighed 20 lbs more than I do.

Tips?  Eat some carrots or apple slices instead of Doritos.  When you hit writer's block, do ten jumping jacks or fifteen stomach crunches.  Rather than that second cup of coffee, get some water.  Water is vital!  And instead of pizza for lunch, go for a turkey sandwich on wholewheat bread, light on the condiments.

Now, I'm not a doctor, and this isn't me shaking my finger at anyone.  I just know that at times, I forget how much better I feel when I eat well and get some exercise.  At the end of the day, as long as you're writing and you feel good about it, enjoy yourself.  Life's too short to worry.  And no one, I mean NO ONE has the right to ORDER you how to live your life!  So if you're on board with what I'm saying, enjoy yourself.  If not, enjoy yourself!

Seriously!  Enjoy life.  Don't feel guilty about the choices you make (as long as they don't directly harm other people).  And eat whatever you feel like :D  (In other words, do what you like, 'cause what do I know?)

No comments:

Post a Comment