Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

I read two books this weekend.  Well, sort of.  I started DIVERGENT a couple of weeks ago, got busy, and read about a chapter a night until the day before Thanksgiving.  Then I stayed up all night to finish it!  Again, sort of.  I read until I remembered that I had to get up, and then wished I'd stayed up all night to finish the book.

Why am I telling you this?  Because I NEVER give up a week of writing and video-gaming just to read.  I mean, I love reading, but I have reading time set aside.  I typically "squeeze" my reading into that time.  Unless I REALLY love a book!

It's a post-apocalyptic dystopian story where all of society is split up into five factions that each focus on one character trait that they believe makes humanity better.  The characters are well written, three-dimensional, and likable, even with their flaws.

Like THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy, it's written in first-person POV, and in present tense.  And that's actually my only real complaint.  I've never been a fan of present tense writing, not because it's bad, but simply because it's not my preference.  Overall, though, it's a great, fast read, and except for two or three paragraphs here and there where the protagonist's motives, motivations, and/or emotions are unclear, it's extremely engaging.

So go get this book as soon as you can!

3 comments:

  1. Read Insurgent yet? :) Prepare to stay up again, and then be frustrated that the third book is still a long time away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, that's the review I'm writing on Friday!

      Delete
  2. Divergent and Insurgent are two books on my TBR that I hope to get to close to the release date of the third book so the wait time for "complete readers satisfaction" is shorter lol! Glad you enjoyed it :-)

    ReplyDelete