Monday, December 10, 2012

End-of-year Goals

Let's be honest, sometimes goals that we as people set are unrealistic.  But that's not a bad thing.  Not always.  It gives us something to strive for, and even if we only make it part of the way there, often enough, that's farther than we would have made it if we hadn't set a goal to begin with.

Looking back on the biggest goal I had for this year, it's easy to say that it simply won't happen.  Not because of laziness or failure, but because my big goal was to have an agent by the end of the year.  Those of you familiar with the publishing world know that that's something I, as a writer, have very little control over.  And since the consensus of opinion is that, while my book is a great concept, it's just not something that works in this current market.  I haven't given up on this book, but for now, I realize my energy is better focused on the NEXT book.  That WiP that I've been making real progress on!

So my goal to reach by the end of the year?  Finish the first draft.  It's a tall order, seeing as how I'm just a little over half way through the outline, but if I push, I think I can get close.  And close is better than not at all :).

What about you?  Any goals that you want to push for by the end of 2012?

1 comment:

  1. I had the same 2012 goal of getting an agent. Didn't happen, but that's okay. I want the right agent, not just any agent, you know? I've also put aside the mss I'm querying and am focusing on the manuscripts I've written this year. I hope to have my WIP from summer ready for crit partners, and the first draft of my NaNoWriMo book done before 2012 is over.

    Best of luck to you as you push to finish your first draft!

    ReplyDelete