Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cutting Back

Last year some time I realized that by cutting back on the TV that I watch, I would get a lot more writing done. Strange, right? And it's true!

When I'm writing, I like to have background noise to keep me from getting distracted by the little projects I have to do around the house and around town. I'll get them done, but they don't stay at the front of my mind all the time. Having the TV on in the background also keeps me from picking up a video game controller and wasting my afternoon an activity that's NOT writing.

Since I started my revisions, though, the TV has stayed off. Two days in a row where it doesn't even get turned on to check the weather. When I lived in Portland, broadcast barely made it to my house. And I was too poor for cable. I lived out there for a year, and I watched only the movies I could find for loan at the library. Which meant I got used to not watching TV.

I have to admit, even though it's only been two days, it doesn't bother me that I haven't watched any TV shows. The silence is nice. TV makes it impossible to focus on my editing, and none of my sentences make sense when I try to rewrite with noise on.

If you're editing, and you need background noise, find some music to listen to. But trust me: get rid of the TV for a while. No successful person ever said, "You know, I wish I hadn't missed that episode [insert TV show here]."

1 comment:

  1. I do the majority of my writing at work in the lunch room. Sometimes it can be noisy in there so I installed the "Honk Shoo" white noise app on my phone along with a timer. The white noise drowns out other people perfectly and, for me, it is better than silence (silence drives me mad, which is probably why I talk to myself A LOT when I'm home alone). :) I agree, though, cutting out TV a couple nights a week is great!

    ReplyDelete