Monday, March 18, 2013

Eb and Flow

It's funny how my brain works, sometimes. For a long while, I thought that blogging every day, or every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday was one of the MOST important things I could do, both for my development as a writer and as platform builder to interact with audiences. Then several things happened.

First, I realized that, even with constant interaction on other blogs, links on web forums, and random postings on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, my traffic remained light, at best. Meaning that my reader base never really grew.

The second thing that happened was that several agents, editors, and full-time writers ALL said that "social networking" and constant blogging CAN help build a career, but in many ways it can create roadblocks for a writer.

As my regulars can attest, my blog consistency has waned over the past several months. Why? Because I feel like I've run out of things to say (and that's not always true, obviously), and I never want to just say something for the sake of saying something. More importantly than that, though, is the fact that I'm focussing more on WRITING. Telling stories. Creating works of fiction.

I know I've said that before, but my passion for this crazy obsession has grown over the past eight months to the point where I don't want to spend my energy writing anything else. There are many projects I'd love to get involved with in an attempt to expand my creativity, but I have to be selective. And with an active day job, often times I need to set blogging aside to get editing and revising done.

The honest truth is, I could blog all the time. Spend every free second integrating with the online community, and making people aware of who I am and what I do. But with how little free time I have, I would never get published. Which would make the rest of that work pretty near pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment