Monday, April 29, 2013

At Long Last

Big things are in store for me over the next month. Not necessarily the achievements of my ultimate goals, but tiny accomplishments that have helped me to grow over the last few months.

To begin with, I will finish this draft of my current book project. It'll go out to the beta readers, and I'll revise from their notes and continue to move forward with overall polish. I'm excited for how this book has turned out. It's something I love to work on, and I'm looking forward to the day I get to pitch it to agent, and then to editors.

And with that goal in mind, I've had to take a step back to remind myself that I still have work to do on this book. Just because I've finished a few drafts and made massive improvements, it doesn't mean this book is "ready." I'm not saying that's a distant goal, but too many authors (myself included) have rushed through projects that still need work. They've sent them out to people who might have accepted them if a little more effort had been put into editing.

I don't want to fall into that trap. It's why I'm so careful about listening to my critique group, picking beta readers who will give me insight into how my intended audience will perceive the novel. As an unpublished author, I know that I still have a lot to learn. And I'm open to learning those lessons.

But, at long last, I can look forward to the submission process. I'm not sure how soon that will be, but I'm hoping it comes in the next two or three months.

And then, while this book is flying out into the world, it will be time to begin the next project, using the lessons I learned this time around to improve my overall skill.

2 comments:

  1. Smart thinking! *pompoms in the air!

    Nice to hear that you listen to critique group - must mean you have good folks in there supporting and providing a good crit!

    Question - what is your process for finding beta readers?

    ReplyDelete