Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Problems with a Scrambled Brain

I've been struggling with my new WiP lately because I can't get any of my thoughts straight. I like the ideas I'm coming up with, but throughout this entire process, I've been struggling to come up with a basic story that I can limit to an appropriate YA word count. Since I'm not published, yet, I have to approach this book (just like my other projects) as if it's a debut novel. That means I need to be as low-risk as possible for the publishers, and that means taking risks on my own that make this book pop without pushing the length of the novel.

I'm not excited by the story I've come up with. I like the relationship between the characters, but at the end of the day, the STORY is really a story. It's several events in an unusual pair of lives with a good deal of conflict, but the stakes just don't pull me in. The stakes aren't high enough, any resolution I can think of sets up too much for me NOT to make it at least a trilogy. And/or 120,000 words long. 78k is about the limit for ANYTHING in a debut YA novel, but even with sci-fi, publishers are more comfortable with 75k.

And, to be perfectly honest, I don't want to spend the time it would take to turn a 120k story into a 75k novel.

It puts me in a real pickle because I want to be writing a novel. The short story I'm working on is fun, but that doesn't get me revved up the way novel writing does.

It doesn't help that I'm still in the middle of pitching another novel, looking over that once in a while to make sure I haven't missed anything, and the holidays are upon us and my day job is sucking away my free time like a vampire at a blood bank.

While I genuinely love the creation process of this job, when creative juices aren't flowing, I wish I could make a living doing something else. Like home brewing. But I know that when I start writing professionally, it'll be TOTALLY worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment