Monday, November 18, 2013

A Pleasant Diversion

Sometimes, distraction is absolutely necessary for my creative brain. I spent such a long time worrying over what I should write next that I completely lost track of how much fun writing is for me. This weekend, I finally hit that magical reset button that got my brain thinking about books again.

Last week, I did have a spark of an idea that I'm working on, but taking a weekend to just goof off and play helped so much I have to recommend it to all of you. Take the time to unwind. Let distraction take over for at least a day, then get back into your project with new vitality and excitement!

For me, I played Star Trek Online. It's free to play, and it's finally available on OSX. I stared at a screen half the weekend (thanks to my loving, caring wife who graciously let me zone out for two days), and now I'm ready to hammer through a new book. And excited for it!

That's it, that's all I got. Go read a book, or play a game. Or take a tour. Something, anything to pull your brain back into focus.

2 comments:

  1. So true. So very true. When writing (our passion and what gives us our life's purpose) becomes hard, or a chore, taking a break is a definite plus. My last break was two weeks. That might be a little long, but after that two weeks, I came back to my WIP with fresh eyes and new ideas and excitement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth it to take a step back now and then, even if that's just as simple as a day or two working on something else, or reading books about writing. Or playing a video game.

      Delete