Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Child's Play Update

The other day, I saw an announcement on the Child's Play twitter. It made me very excited because they're branching out and working with domestic violence shelters!

From their site: “The very nature of family violence eradicates trust, self-respect, and physical and emotional wellness in all victims, but none more so than with the children. These “hidden victims” are often the most vulnerable, overlooked and the least likely to receive appropriate services during a time of intense trauma.
We believe that these “hidden victims“ can be reached through creativity and play; through the gaming opportunities and learning experience, they will build their self-confidence and self-esteem. Our ability to offer social and emotional skill development- through constructive play and gaming activities - will help the children impacted by violence develop self-understanding, creative thinking and empathy skills, designed to support their healing, growth and future success.”
This is an important cause for me. Not because I've ever experienced anything remotely close to what these kids and their mothers have been through, but because the very idea of destroying someone's life through domestic abuse makes me ill. And angry. To the point where I want to hit someone. Which, I understand, is counterproductive, but that's how angry it makes me!
Please go to the Child's Play site, check out their press release, and watch the thirty second video announcement. Then consider donating. As always, it's for a great cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment