Monday, November 25, 2013

The Slog

The problem with a busy life is that it often takes time away from the things I want to do. Like blogging. I'm less concerned with this fact than I used to be simply because building a platform without a "product" to distribute isn't the best use of my time. Building the product is where I need to focus my efforts.

That's what I've been doing lately. I'm still querying my finished novel, and I'm outlining a new story that I like a lot. By this time next year, I hope to have another finished project to send out into the market, but at the same time, I'd rather get this WiP interrupted by the need to work with an agent on getting the finished book to bookshelves.

This is something that most writers talk about during their slog through the querying phase. And it feels like a slog because there's a lot of waiting, a lot of downtime between queries where it would be a waste to send out more, but the only thing I want to do is send out ALL the queries to ALL the agents. But I'm taking my time with this. I only want 5 unanswered queries out there at a time. This gives me a chance to research the market, make sure the agents I'm querying are the best match for me. And, if necessary, I can revise my query to make it stand out more.

Over the next few months, I expect my blogging to remain inconsistent. It's a necessary cutback that will greatly improve my book writing, but I know it could hurt my presence on the web. The problem is, my presence is only screaming in the wind if I don't have something worthwhile to say. Or anyone to listen.

I'll continue regular updates at least once a week, and the charity of the month isn't going anywhere. But this blog will continue to evolve until I figure out where all of this writing stuff is taking me. Until then, the publication of my novel has to be my focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment