Friday, November 08, 2013

Writing Playlist?

I'm gonna be honest: I rarely listen to music anymore. It's not that I dislike music, but I'd rather listen to podcasts, audio books, and the occasional stint of talk radio. I haven't purchased music in years. And the music I did purchase the last time I bought something, I used a gift card I'd received for Christmas.

Don't get me wrong, I don't steal music. I just listen to Pandora. I've listened to the same songs so many times with their service that I probably ended up paying the artists more than I would have if I'd purchased their album, anyway.

But even Pandora gets shut off too quickly when I sit down to write simply because music is distracting to me. And when I write, I can't tolerate silence. If someone's not walking around on TV and yelling at their costars, there's too much silence. Which is weird because coffee shops distract the ever-living stuffing out of me.

So what do I listen to when I write? Scrubs. The TV show. It's on Netflix, along with Mythbusters, How I Met Your Mother, and The New Girl. I've seen those enough times that they give my brain a quick reset when I need them to, but I can COMPLETELY ignore them when I sit down to write. I can't do that with music. I tend to think about the lyrics, bob my head to a groovy tune (yes I just said that), and then look up music videos and trivia on the artist.

I don't know how I got this way, but I've had this problem for almost two years. I just can't write with music on in the background. It just reminds me of how much needs to be done around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment