Monday, December 09, 2013

Making it Work

As I've mentioned in the past few posts, I'm approaching my new book differently. And it's working! I kept getting an emotional detachment from the characters because I couldn't figure out WHO they were.

So after fiddling around with the first few chapters, I came to the realization that I needed to go back to my outline and figure out what the characters should be feeling in each chapter. Maybe even give each chapter a mini-theme to keep the story on point.

Another problem I've been having is figuring out WHERE this story's going. I don't want it to be a clone of other stories I've written, and I don't want to intentionally rip off another author. I know that every story has already been told a thousand times over, but I want to tell THIS story in a way that makes the readers laugh and cry and wonder why they've never looked at it this way before. I know, a lot of pressure to put on myself, right?

As with most blog posts of this nature, my big point is that it's important to KEEP WORKING when writing gets tough. Sitting around and waiting for inspiration may work for the "inspired artist," but if a writer wants to make a career out of writing, they have to treat it like a job. Getting the work DONE, even when they're too sick to stand, to tired to keep their eyes open, and when all of their friends are out having fun because they got to play hooky from work. It doesn't SOUND glamorous, but then again, many brewery owners think they'll sit around drinking beer all day when they start out. Then they discover that their job is mostly mopping and shoveling up grains. A passion is great, but turning that passion into an income requires commitment, followthrough, and a willingness to do the stuff that sucks when all we want to do is play video games.

2 comments:

  1. Giles, I hope you succeed in doing it the business-like way, because that's probably the only way to make a living as a writer.

    What you're doing as you re-examine your characters and story is what I usually have to do after the first few chapters of free-writing. I've had no luck creating plot and characters in advance, but once I charge into a project and get a few thousand words down, I can work on an outline, character sketches, and a timeline with no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post! I needed this. You're right. It must be treated like a job and you must do it even when you don't have your muse sitting on your shoulder whispering in your ear.

    ReplyDelete