Monday, January 13, 2014

Book Review: Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

The final installment of Revis's debut trilogy did nothing less than excite my enthusiasm and hope for the future of Sci-Fi writing, especially for Y/A readers.

Over the years, I've had an odd relationship with Sci-Fi, and I can say Revis went a long way toward drawing me into the fold of future ├╝ber enthusiasts.

Every stray thread left dangling at the end of books one and two (of which there are only a few) are neatly tied up, along with the engaging plot arc of this novel. The characters find new depths, explore more complex relationships and ideas.

And most of all, it's fun! I stayed up WAY past my bedtime for four nights straight trying to reach the end simply because I couldn't stop reading. It was THAT good.

I won't spoil the story for you with descriptions or summaries, but know that the characters come across as real people who I can very closely relate to. By the time I reached the bottom of page 1, I felt like I'd returned to a familiar world, and I got to spend time watching my friends grow and change from teenagers suddenly in over their heads to mature adults, still in over their heads but way more capable of handling the world around them.

Revis has a great career ahead of her, in my opinion, and I think Sci-Fi might be my new favorite genre BECAUSE of her!

Go buy the entire trilogy, follow her on Twitter, and have a blast in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment