Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Life Changes

Over the past few years, I've been steadily making changes to my life that have gone a long way toward improving my ability to write and forge a future beyond my current day job. Some of these changes were easy, like joining a writers' organization and finding a critique group. Going to conferences has been fun, and I've been challenged quite a bit in ways the improved my writing even more than simply sitting down to write.

Now, I'm taking another step: I'm going to read at least five books on writing this year. That may not sound like a lot, but I rarely read non-fiction. And most of my reading about writing comes from articles and seminar handouts. I'm saying five books because I don't honestly know how many I can get through while pushing myself to read more fiction.

I'm excited, and as I work through my first book, I'm already learning a lot. And by learning a lot, I mean that I'm remembering some of the fundamentals that I generally take for granted.

I'm going to start freelancing soon, too, if I can. I need experience in the writing industry if I'm going to make it my full-time job. For those two reasons, my first two books are WORDS FAIL ME by Patricia T. O'Conner and THE ELEMENTS OF EXPRESSION by Arthur Plotnik.

After that, I think it's time I finally read Stephen King's ON WRITING.

What other books should I read? I have one more title to work through that I can't share yet for secret reasons, but any suggestions are more than welcome!

And what are you reading right now?

1 comment:

  1. Put King's ON WRITING on your nightstand and read it at night before bed. I'm not saying you should read it first, but it should be something you start now so you can dream fabulous successful dreams at night after reading a chapter or two. David Mamet has a thing or two to say about writing, Writing in Restaurants and Three Uses of the Knife come to mind.

    ReplyDelete