Wednesday, January 08, 2014

No Excuses!

Throughout life, goals that we set come and go. Sometimes there are legitimate reasons for missing those goals (a death in the family, car accident, lack of funds, etc.), but often times, it's easier to simply make excuses as to why those goals are simply unattainable. Then we give up altogether. For success to occur, however, we must face those legitimate possibilities of failure, dare them to make us fail, and then try our hardest to overcome those difficulties, even if that means reaching goals later than expected. Or even adapting to circumstances to change those goals into something better than the originally planned "end" to our efforts.

For me, I've found that I have the most motivation and inspiration for my writing at about 7:45 am, Monday through Friday. When I'm on my way out the door for my day job. It would be easy to say, "I can't write at any other time, so I just need to figure out how to get myself into a position to stay at home and write all the time. Until then, I'll stop writing."

The truth, though? I've found that I WRITE best (regardless of inspiration and motivation) when I SIT DOWN AND WRITE! No excuses, no whining, and no sitting back and wishing my life were different.

That's my advice to anyone interested in succeeding ANYWHERE in life. Figure out how to make something happen, and if you never "have the time," go out and make time.

2 comments:

  1. Love this. "I write best... when I SIT DOWN AND WRITE!" What a great quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Giles -- I'd like to be able to follow your posts by e-mail, but you don't seem to have that option in your sidebar (which, by the way, is pretty hard to read in places because the background shows through).

    As for the "sit down and write" advice...it's the only way. We each have to find our own time and our own rhythm, and just do it.

    ReplyDelete