Monday, January 27, 2014

Physical Health

I'm not a health nut. Not by any stretch of the imaginations. I love bacon, bacon, cereal for breakfast (and not that fiber crap, sugar-filled cereal), coffee, bacon, beer, pizza, and did I mention bacon?

But that doesn't stop me from trying to be healthy. Now, I know some people may say that it's IMPOSSIBLE to be healthy with all of those foods. And if that's all I ate, I might agree with you.

Exercise alone won't balance out that diet. And I don't exercise as much as I should. But I work in a warehouse. I spend entire days doing nothing but exercise.

So how could I possibly stay healthy? I moderate my intake of the unhealthy stuff. Good food doesn't have to be bad for you. And most of what I've been eating these days is EXTREMELY healthy for me (from the pages of Cooking Light Magazine). I don't eat pizza or bacon every day (though I do have one cup of coffee every day, and a beer several times a week). But I'm cutting back on my candy intake, trying to drop it to nothing except maybe once a week (there's a candy dish at work that's easy to graze from). I have a soda once every six or eight months, not because I think they're unhealthy, per se, but simply because it doesn't refresh me as much as water, and doesn't quench other thirsts as well as beer.

What's my point? Good question. Mostly, I think it's important for people to feel well (and yes, I mean well, not good, though feeling good is important, too. Just another topic for another day). This isn't a judgement post. This isn't about guilting people into changing everything to look a certain way. I've just found that when I'm eating well, I feel well, both physically and mentally. And when I'm feeling poor, mentally, my physical health doesn't cause me any problems.

Do whatever it takes to feel well. And know that every day is an opportunity to do things that make you feel well. With a few exceptions, of course (like physical illness, and so forth).

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. We have a guy at my job who is the healthiest, physically fit person on the team. What does he love most? Bacon. He loves it so much that one of the team members gave him a bacon recipe book for our Secret Santa gift exchange. But again, like you, he eats what he wants in moderation and keeps healthier snacks and protein bars handy for a sweet fix.

    ReplyDelete