Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Where to Start

My last book started very easily. The entire book was inspired by one little line. One little idea. This new project feels different because it is different. I had one idea, but the idea was the beginning of one of two stories in this book.

The problem I'm having is that I don't know where to start. I know many authors (especially new authors) struggle with beginnings. And I don't want to fight with something that's probably going to be rewritten two or three times anyway. The problem is, without the proper beginning, I feel like I'm taking over someone else's half-finished job.

So where do I start? With the story. The character. The internal struggle. The tugging of her heart that makes her love her mom and miss her dad. The longing to stay with one and see the other. The childish need for them to be together, but the realization that that's not possible anymore, and as a growing young person, she's in a position to make choices for her future. And she has to start thinking about her own life.

I want this story to start on a high note. I look books that start out optimistic. Maybe I'm sadistic when dealing with my characters, but I don't like putting miserable characters into miserable situations. There's no fun in that.

Anyway, I guess I should get to my writing. Thanks for letting me ramble to get my mind moving!

Have a good day, and I'll see you on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment