Monday, February 17, 2014

Learning Curve

Over the last few months, I've been working on self-improvement. It's not just because I want to be a better person. I love learning, too! And along those lines, I'm learning that there's a lot that I can pick up quickly, but then it takes a long time to start progressing from there. And in other instances, there's a LOT that I have to learn right away before I can even think about moving beyond the "beginner" phase of a project.

For example: I'm learning HTML5 and CSS3. Unlike music (where I learned a few notes and quickly translated that into learning songs, then translated that into writing songs), coding is going to require a lot of bookwork before I can sit down and design my first website. In a practical sense, anyway.

But I'm working on several writing projects, too, that may move me closer to getting published because they're making me figure out new ways to write. I've already learned a lot about writing, and since I have that base to work from, the progression on these other projects feels smooth and relatively straightforward.

The takeaway from this should be that when someone (you or I) sets out to do something, success will only come from sticking with it. How easy or hard it is should have no bearing on whether or not it's going to succeed or fail. In fact, some of my biggest successes came from some of the slowest-starting projects in my life. School, for example. When I started college, I'd been out of school for three years. I had no idea what I was doing, and I had to figure stuff out on the fly. I genuinely thought, based on my initial struggles, that I was going to do poorly in college. Turned out, I maintained a 4.0 until I decided to move on to other things.

And over on the Beyond the Trope blog, Michelle discusses a similar idea. She talks about how important it is to NOT let our current conditions dictate our future plans. Go check it out and maybe leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment