Monday, April 14, 2014

Big and Small Life Choices

Every day we're faced with choices. Will I get up early, or sleep in until I have to go to work? Will I have coffee or tea with breakfast? Do I need to prep dinner in advance, or is there something I can throw together when I get home?

As a writer, the choices I have to make are changing almost as fast as the landscape of the publishing industry. That's one of the reasons I'm writing short stories for a couple of weeks before I jump back into my book. It's not just a chance to try to get my writing out into the world, it's a chance to sit back and look at the publishing industry and create something that SHOULD be able to find a home without worrying about whether or not the medium of publication will even be around in three years.

There are other choices to make, too. Like, should I stick with the genre I've been writing? Should I move to a different age-group? How should I approach publication?

I'm in a constant state of reevaluation, and if I hope to succeed in this industry, I need to stay aware of what's going on in the publishing world.

Of course, I can't obsess over the business side of things at this point in my career, but I need to keep an eye on what's happening out there.

What questions do you ask yourself every day? And how do those questions change as you evolve in your process?

No comments:

Post a Comment