Monday, April 07, 2014

The Challenge

[This post originally appeared on Beyond the Trope.]

My friend, Aaron, has been talking with me about this challenge that he found somewhere on the internet. It has to do with collecting "nos." Basically, that's the game. The person with the most rejections is the winner since getting a single "yes" is quite hard, but sticking it out through rejection after rejection is, in many ways, much harder. At least, that's how I'm reading the challenge.

At first, I didn't know how I felt about the challenge. And as someone who's gotten a surprisingly high amount of rejections lately, I didn't exactly know how to approach querying in a way that would lead to a "yes."

But I've accepted his challenge. And here's how I'm rewarding myself: I'm going to brew a barley wine and age it.

I've never attempted a touchy beer that has to stand up to time. And I'm still in the middle of "finding representation" in my writing career. So rather than dwelling on rejection letters, I'm going to give myself a reason to collect them. A reward for continually striving for that one "yes." I'm sitting somewhere over 200 rejections on three books and several short stories combined, so I'm going to brew this beer, age it until I reach 500 rejections, or until the release day of my first novel. Whichever comes first.

That's how I plan to move forward with Aaron's challenge, and while I'm doing all of this querying, I'm also going to continue pursuing education opportunities to improve my writing abilities.

So what do you think? Do you agree with the challenge? Do you have something to reward yourself with when you reach a certain amount of rejections? What about successes?

No comments:

Post a Comment