Thursday, May 29, 2014

Surprising Progress

I'm shocked at how much we at Beyond the Trope have been able to do in the last four months. Sure, we're not building an empire or even serving two or three hundred listeners (our numbers appear low, though there may be some things keeping us from seeing all of the numbers), but we'er doing stuff. Yes, that's vague. But there is STUFF happening! Rather than just sitting around, making up topics, and then recording them, we're putting together content, reaching out to authors, and getting ourselves out in the world.

As some people may know, we're going to be at Denver Comic Con this year. This is a big deal because, if for no other reason, than I almost decided not to bother signing up for a place at Podcast Peak. Why? Because we're too new. We only had three episodes released when I filled out the application. I ASSUMED the would turn us down, and ALMOST followed that assumption to it's foregone conclusion. Then something nagged at me in the back of my mind. I figured, the worst that would happen is they'll say "No" this year, giving us a year to get ourselves some "credibility," and we could try again next year. All I would lose is the five minutes it took to sign up.

Yeah. They liked our first episode (Literature in the Classroom), and whatever else led them to offer us a table isn't as relevant as the fact that THEY GAVE US A TABLE! We get to record at Denver Comic Con! And that's surprising to me.

There's so much that surprises me these days, and so many things that have remained the same (like the state of my career). It's been distracting. I don't know where the future will take me, but I'm going to embrace this progress and push for something greater than what I'm doing today.

I don't know where the podcast is going. I'm getting ready to investigate what it would take to turn it into a business, what the options are for monetizing, and how that would affect the three of us.

I'm embracing short stories more than I ever have in the past. My "goal" for this year is to get enough stories published to allow me entrance into the SFWA. I don't know if my writing will get me there this year, but I have to try. If I don't, it NEVER will. And if I do, eventually I'll get there.

Saturday, I'm going to submit my novel to the RMFW contest again. Second year in a row, complete with improvements made from so many suggestions.

Life takes turns we never expect. And when we focus on the things that "didn't happen," it gets painful. I'm embracing progress, especially progress that surprises me. My best-laid plans may never amount to anything, and I need to learn to be okay with that. Or else I'm going to give up.

And that mindset is one of the most surprising changes that I've seen in myself in a long time.

I'd like to say that this blog is going to remain strong and consistent. But my day job is taking more and more of my time during the week, and my relationship with my wife and writing take up the rest of my time. This blog was meant to be a way to "journal" when I started it. Then it turned into my "web presence." Now? I don't know. Beyond the Trope is going to be my web presence in the future. It's where I can present myself in a professional capacity. It gives me focus and drive.

I'm not opposed to getting personal on the web, but there's a time and a place. This blog has gotten less personal over the years because it needs to. It's where I develop my professional face. That's why I don't talk politics.

Overall, life is going to move forward. This blog will remain up and a part of who I am on the web, and I'll continue to put together content for it.

We'll see where I go.

1 comment:

  1. Your projects sound so exciting, Giles. And good for you for submitting to the Colorado Gold contest again.

    ReplyDelete